Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 12:27:44 +1100
Subject: Officer Down Aust.
It is with much regret that I post to the list this morning the death of a fellow NSW police officer. Police in the southern highlands south of Sydney were chasing a stolen vehicle with a prison escapee on board, two other adults and a five year old child. The pursuit was terminated but the progress of the vehicle was monitored. A HWP officer with a spike strip set up the strip ahead of the vehicle. somehow the stolen vehicle has hit the officer with the spike strip, killing him. Details are unclear at this moment but it must be assumed they were trying to avoid the spike strip. the stolen vehicle a four wheel drive has then lost control and crashed. A adult and the 5 year old child were taken into custody. The female (believed to be the mother of the child) and the other male escapee decamped on foot. A large scale man hunt is under way at this moment for them. Spike strips are new to our state and on trial, so It remains to be seen what effect the death of this officer will have on their continued use.

Off-duty officer dies after vehicle hits CTA bus
Accident injures 20 other people, including passenger in cop's car
Saturday, January 13, 2001
Funeral arrangements have been set for an off-duty Chicago police detective who was killed Thursday night after his vehicle struck a CTA bus in the city's Lower West Side community. Twenty other people, including a 25-year-old woman who was a passenger n the detective's car, were injured and taken to area hospitals. Chicago police said Thomas Coughlin, 51, was driving east on Cermak Road between Paulina and Wood streets when he swerved into the westbound lane of traffic and struck a CTA bus at 10:45 p.m., police said The bus swerved to try to avoid Coughlin's 1993 Oldsmobile Bravada and struck an unoccupied semi truck parked on the west side of the street, police said. Coughlin, of the 6200 block of South Mason Avenue in the city's Clearing community, was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in Chicago, where he was pronounced dead at 11:23 p.m., authorities said. A spokesman for the Cook County medical examiner's office said Coughlin died from multiple injuries he suffered in the accident. Police did not know why Coughlin swerved into the other lane of traffic. Coughlin, a veteran officer, joined the police department in February 1973 as a patrol officer. He was promoted to detective in 1995 and assigned to the Wentworth Area Violent Crimes Division. During his police career, he received nine departmental commendations, 100 honorable mentions, 11 complimentary letters and an award from the Junior Chamber of Commerce, police spokeswoman Robin Mohr said. Survivors include his best friend, Patricia Monahan, and four brothers, police officer James Coughlin, police officer John Coughlin, police officer Richard Coughlin and Michael Coughlin, all of Chicago.

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:07:40 EST
Subject: LOD death
A Highway Patrol trooper was killed after an accident near the Cumberland-Bladen county line Tuesday afternoon. John H. Duncan, 28, was chasing a Lexus when he lost control of the car, it hit an embankment and caught fire. It happened around 3 p.m. on Turnbull Road near Highway 53, just inside Cumberland County. At the scene, the charred patrol car lay in the middle of the rural road. Papers were strewn around the crash site as investigators began their work. After the accident, the suspect abandoned the Lexus and fled on foot. Police are searching for Travis Elijah Freeman, 24, of Fayetteville. Freeman has a lengthy criminal record. Trooper Duncan was based out of Fayetteville. He had been with the Highway Patrol for two years, after serving eight years in the military. He was from Laurel, Miss., and is survived by a wife and three children.

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 19:03:13 -0600
Subject: couldn't get to his weapon
Off-duty Harvey police officer shot several times
Jan. 6, 2001 6:12 p.m.
A Harvey police officer was in serious condition Saturday evening after being shot several times while off duty,authorities said. Officer Marcus Ellison was shot early Saturday morning, shortly after leaving the parking lot of a restaurant where he had been speaking with Harvey police investigating another shooting, police said. Ellison, 30, told police he noticed a suspicious car following him after he left the restaurant. ``Next thing you know the car pulled up and they opened up on him,'' said Harvey Mayor Nickolas Graves, ``He couldn't even get to his weapon and he took three or four rounds.'' Police said two or three men fired shots from a late-model Lincoln, striking Ellison in the arm, back and leg, police said. He was struck by bullets from a 9mm handgun. No arrests had been made as of Saturday evening. Harvey police say Ellison was targeted for his work on the town's gang and drug unit, where his is a four-year veteran. Ellison told police he recognized at least one of his attackers as a local gang member.

Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:26:28 EST
Subject: Riverside, CA Officer Killed
May Detective Jacobs rest in peace.
A Riverside police detective was shot to death Saturday by an assailant who ambushed him as he responded to a loud music complaint at a downtown Victorian-style home. Detective Charles Douglas "Doug" Jacobs III, who was promoted nine months ago, died at Riverside Community Hospital shortly after the 2:28 p.m. shooting at 3140 Lemon St. Jacobs, 30, joined the department on Dec. 29, 1995. He was married and the father of a 6-month-old daughter and 10-year-old stepson. Within minutes, police arrested Jacobs' suspected killer, Steve Woodruff, 37, who lives in the home where the attack occurred. Late Saturday, Woodruff was being questioned by detectives and was scheduled to be booked at the Robert Presley Detention Center on suspicion of murder, police said. A neighbor said Jacobs' death may have resulted from an ongoing dispute between two residents about the volume at which one plays her radio. The woman apparently playing the radio, Polly Carr, is the mother of the suspect, police said. Other neighbors said they made repeated calls to police to complain about drug use at the home and several others on the street. "This horrible tragedy underscores the dangerous job officers do every day. He goes on a radio call on a Saturday afternoon, basically an innocuous call about loud music, and ends up losing his life." Dozens of police cordoned off Lemon Street and spent hours poring over the house and yard, photographing the scene and questioning residents. Riverside Police spokesman Lt. Ed McBride said some details of the shooting were still unclear. But this much is known: Jacobs went to help Officer Ben Baker investigate the music disturbance, after Baker called for backup. The officers were at a two-story home converted into separate apartments on the first and second floors. Police said Jacobs was standing on an outside stairwell when he was shot by a man who emerged from the first-floor apartment and fired, striking the
officer in the head. McBride said it was unknown if the officer and his assailant exchanged words before the shooting took place. Witnesses reported hearing four to six shots -- two rounds followed a volley of four loud shots fired about five seconds later. Immediately afterward, Baker put out an "11-99" call on his radio that Jacobs was down and needed assistance. Baker
was not injured. Police said it was unclear late Saturday whether the officers managed to return fire. It was also unclear what kind of weapon was used to shoot Jacobs. Police said Woodruff threw a rifle outside before he was taken into custody, but said Jacobs could have been shot with a handgun.

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 20:39:59 -0500
Subject: TN Trooper killed
State Trooper Killed By Hit and Run Truck
A Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper is dead Monday following a hit-and-run accident on Interstate 24 in Nashville early New Year's morning. The hit and run happened around 1:30 a.m. while the trooper, John Mann, struggled with a carjacking suspect. The incident began on Fourth Avenue South when a cab driver swerved to avoid hitting a
pedestrian. His attempt failed and he struck the man. When the cab driver got out of the car to check on the pedestrian, the pedestrian jumped into the passenger's side of the cab and drove off. From there, the carjacker got up on I-24 west, near the Ellington and James Robertson Parkway Exits. He hit several cars, spun around and ended up going down the interstate against traffic. At that point, Trooper John Mann began his pursuit. The suspect's car stopped and the carjacker took off on foot. Trooper Mann followed the suspect. Then, according to a witness, Mann struggled with the suspect on the interstate. Both the suspect and Mann were then struck by the hit and run vehicle. The suspected hit and run driver, James Sheppard, turned himself in seven hours later. When Sheppard showed up at the police station, he was driving a heavily damaged, red
Dodge truck. He turned his head away from cameras as charges against him were read in night court. Police said Sheppard was taken to a local hospital for a blood alcohol test. Sheppard bonded out of the Metro Jail later in the day. A female friend who was riding with Sheppard at the time of the accident said they knew they had hit something, possibly an animal. She said they had no idea that they hit people until they watched it on the news this morning and that's when they came to the police station.

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:24:15 EST
Subject: 2 Officers killed- from CNN.COM
Two officers, suspect killed in Idaho shooting
January 4, 2001, Jerome County, ID
Two sheriff's deputies and a suspect were killed in a gun battle after the officers tried to serve a warrant to search a house for drugs. Cpl. James Moulson, 30, and Cpl. Phillip Anderson, 23, were shot to death on Wednesday evening along with George Timothy Williams, 47, at a home in Eden, a town of 300 residents 10 miles east of Twin Falls. Moulson, a four-year department veteran and married father of a 9-month-old son, and Anderson, who was single and had been a deputy for two years, were dog handlers and were both wearing bulletproof vests, Sheriff Jim Weaver said. The sheriff said other officers were backing up Moulson and Anderson, but no one else was wounded.

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:36:52 -0600
Subject: Kansas Highway Patrol trooper
Trooper in Pratt shot in the neck
The Kansas Highway Patrol trooper was discovered in his patrol car and airlifted to a Wichita hospital. A Kansas Highway Patrol trooper was found shot in his marked patrol car at Pratt Community College Monday night, the patrol said. The trooper, who was shot in the neck, was flown to Wesley Medical Center in Wichita, where he was in critical condition. Lt. Alan Stoecklein said the trooper was found by several passers-by about 7:10 p.m. outside the college, where students were inside taking night classes. Authorities had no one in custody and would not comment on any possible suspects. Lt. Phil Bostian said a man found the trooper slumped over the wheel, strapped in with his seat belt. Authorities were trying to figure out what the trooper had been doing at the time of the shooting. He had not radioed in to say he was stopping a car, Bostian said. The Kansas Bureau of Investigation, the Pratt County Sheriff's Department and the Pratt Police Department were assisting in the investigation. Authorities questioned several students taking classes at the college around the time of the crime. Crime-scene tape cordoned off a large part of the parking lot where the car sat, about 75 yards from the nearest portion of the college building, which is about a half-mile north of the intersection of U.S. 54 and K-61.

Sat, 13 Jan 2001
Cops hurt, suspect killed in Orange
Two Orange police officers remain in critical condition this evening following last nights shootout in their city. It all began about 8:30 last night as I was told by one police officer, they had been seeking someone who had committed a series of gas station robberies. It wound up like a shooting gallery as eyewitness Paul Rojas told me, "I heard two gunshots go off and then I walked outside to see what's gong on & I saw the cop cars flying up & down the street, and then they all united down to one corner and then I heard them say stop police & then you heard 20 or 30 shots going off." During the shootout 2 police officers were shot. 26-year-old Kenneth McGuire was hit in the abdomen and the right leg, while 30-year-old Dave Lemongello was hit in the arm and chest. Cut down and killed in the hail of bullets was the alleged suspect Shantez Everette. "Both of the officers are listed in critical but stable condition. They have shown slight improvement since their admission last night to the hospital."

Topic: officer wounded
Date: Monday, January 15, 2001 02:58 PM
Deputy Wounded While Apprehending Armed Robbery Suspects:
On a recent Friday morning, Arapahoe County sheriff's deputies learned from the Parker Police Department that a robbery had just occurred at a grocery store in their municipality. Shortly after, Deputy Mitch Fryman spotted the suspects' vehicle and, after radioing for assistance, began following it. Other sheriff's deputies soon joined the pursuit. The deputies were preparing to make a felon stop when the suspects drove into a cul-de-sac - and then made an abrupt U-turn. As the vehicle passed by Deputy Travis Stewart's marked patrol car, the suspects opened fire. Despite being hit once in the chest, Stewart continued the pursuit. Meanwhile, Deputy Todd Fechner made several attempts to terminate the pursuit by ramming the rear of the suspects' vehicle - all the time while being fired on by the suspects. A flat tire caused the suspects to lose control of their vehicle and drive into a light pole. The suspects were taken into custody without further incident about one half hour after the initial call. A revolver was retrieved from the vehicle. Both suspects were being held in county detention facilities.After taking part in the arrest, Deputy Stewart was transported to a local medical center for treatment of his gunshot wound. The bullet, which struck Stewart right above the heart, was stopped by Stewart's bulletproof vest. Stewart sustained severe bruising and a minor laceration on his chest but was said to be in very good condition. Arapahoe County Sheriff Patrick J. Sullivan Jr. notes that none of the deputies involved in the pursuit fired his service weapon.

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:57:12 -0800
Subject: The Rest of the Story
Oakland Rookie Cops Didn't Hear Warning
Monday, January 15, 2001
Seconds before two rookie Oakland patrolmen killed an undercover officer last week, a third officer yelled to them that William Wilkins was a fellow officer -- but his plea wasn't heard in the commotion at the scene, investigators said this morning. The two officers who fired their weapons at Wilkins -- Tim Scarrott, 23, and Andrew Koponen, 29 -- did not know that Wilkins had been on the Oakland police force for seven years, said Lt. Paul Berlin, an Oakland Police homicide squad commander. Detective Wilkins was accidentally shot and killed by other officers while on an undercover narcotics stakeout. Detective Wilkins noticed a stolen car speeding by and gave chase. He caught the vehicle and was arresting the suspect at gunpoint. Other uniformed patrolmen arrived on the scene and shot and killed Detective Wilkins, who was in plainclothes. He was transported to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. Detective Wilkins had been with the agency for seven years and is survived by his wife and 10-month-old son.

Topic: Tragedy in Western Australia
Conf: Officer Down/Wounded
It is my deeply sad duty to inform members of the WA Police Service of the deaths of four police officers in a Police Air Support plane crash near Newman airport last night, Friday, January 26, 2001.
The deceased officers are:
Senior Constable Donald Richard Everett (49) of Karratha. Senior Constable Everett was a pilot attached to Air Support at Karratha. Senior Constable Everett had been in the WA Police Service since 1972.
Constable Gavin Ashley Capes (27) of Newman. Constable Capes, who was stationed at Newman, had been in the job since 1997.
First Class Constable David Adrian Dewar (31) of Newman. First Class Constable Dewar, who was stationed at Newman, had been in the job since 1994.
Senior Constable Phillip Gavin Ruland (32) of Newman. Snr Constable Ruland, who was also stationed at Newman, had been in the job since 1988.
The four officers were on board the Air Support Unitís Cessna 310 as it was preparing to land at Newman airport at around 10 pm last night.
They had been to Kiwirrikurra, which near the Northern Territory border to deal with a reported assault. After dealing with the situation at Kiwirrikurra, the officers were returning to Newman. I am advised that two officers, who were waiting for the plane on the ground at Newman, reported seeing the plane lose power and then heard a loud bang. A search by around 40 people including police officers and SES volunteers located the wreckage of the plane approximately 2.6 kms from the airport at approximately 4.30 am this morning. A full investigation is currently being conducted into the circumstances of the crash.
The loss of these four officers is a devastating blow for the WA Police Service and I am sure all members of the Police Family will join with me in expressing our deepest sympathy to the families and colleagues of these officers. The Premier, the Hon Richard Court, MLA, and the Minister for Police, the Hon Kevin Prince, MLA, have also expressed their deep and profound sorrow at this tragic event and likewise extend their deepest sympathy to the families and colleagues of the officers.

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:28:29 -0500
Subject: Florida Deputy killed in crash
Deputy, 3 others killed in crash
Squad car spins into oncoming Town Car
Cpl. Alfredo Banos became the fifth Lee County sheriff's deputy to die in the line of duty Saturday. And he took three
people with him.
Banos, 52, was heading east on Corkscrew Road at 6:57 a.m. when his patrol car spun out of control and slammed into a Lincoln Town Car, instantly killing Banos, two other men and a 16-year-old boy. A fourth person in the Town Car was in fair condition Saturday night. "It's a big loss," Sheriff Rod Shoap said. "It's a sad day for all of law enforcement, not just for the Lee County Sheriff's Office. It's a sad day for the community. I don't want to leave out the people in the other car. It's a sad day for
everyone." Banos' car caught fire after the wreck but officials say he was killed by the impact, not the fire. The force of the crash crushed the 1985 Town Car so badly its hood looked like the front end of a compact car, not a Lincoln. The four in the Town Car were from Immokalee and on their way to work when the accident happened. Officials said it appeared Banos was wearing a seatbelt but the four in the Lincoln weren't. Whether seatbelts would have saved any lives they couldn't say. The speed limit on Corkscrew Road is 50 mph during the day and 45 mph at night. Banos, officials said, was responding to a call concerning a drunken man with a machete who allegedly was threatening others. He was to act as a backup officer and translator, officials said. Police refused to speculate on whether Banos was going too fast as he made a curve. "We'll conduct a criminal investigation of the accident," said Lt. Malcolm Rhodes of the
Florida Highway Patrol. "But obviously, in this investigation there's not going to be any criminal charges because both of the drivers are dead." Lee County sheriff's spokesman Deputy Larry King couldn't say whether Banos had his emergency lights and siren on. "As far as we know he was under normal operation," King said. "There was nothing abnormal about his response. ... What we have to do is wait until the Florida Highway Patrol concludes its investigation." Shoap said what is known is that the road was wet - "so it was really tough driving conditions." Shoap hailed Banos as "one of the best of the best of the best." "Behind his car were candy canes that fell out of his car on impact," Shoap said. "It's heart-wrenching. He would drive around and when he'd see the kids on the corner he'd stop and give them candy canes." Banos began his career as a deputy while in his 40s. Typically, rookie deputies are in their 20s, sheriff's Capt. Kerry Griner said. "He came in smiling and happy every day," Griner said. "He was an incredible police officer, but he was a more incredible human being. He was such a positive influence over the other guys. He got people busy. He got them involved."

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 04:29:41 -0500
Subject: Line of Duty Death - Greensboro, NC
It is with deep regret that I inform you that Officer C. T. Beane (age 34) of the Greensboro (NC) Police Department was killed on 01-24-01. Chris was returning home from third shift when his vehicle left the roadway - presumably he fell asleep. He overcorrected and crossed the centerline and was killed by an oncoming truck. He was less than four miles from his house. He had worked approximately three hours over his normal ten and one-half hour shift. Chris is survived by his wife and two young children. Chris had been with the Greensboro Police Department since 1999. He was a lateral transfer from the Capitol (Washington, DC) Police. He will be greatly missed by all of his
friends and co-workers. A Christopher Todd Beane Memorial Fund has been established by the Greensboro Police Officers Association to meet any urgent or special needs that his family may experience. Anyone wishing to donate may do so by sending a check made out to the Fund to:

Greensboro Police Officers Association
c/o C. T. Beane Memorial Fund
241 Summit Avenue, Suite 108
Greensboro, NC 27401

Topic: Hancock County, Mississippi
Hancock County Sheriff's Deputy Brandon Carver was killed Monday, January 15, 2001, in an off duty single-vehicle accident. Carver, 23 years of age, was driving alone in his 1992 Chevy S-10 pickup truck down Dirtpit Road when he drove across a steel-grate bride, losing control. He left the bridge, went down an ten foot embankment, landing upside down in a creek that was approximately six-to-seven feet deep. Friends of Carver came upon the accident perhaps 10 - 15 minutes after the crash. Deputy Carver is survived by his parents Sammy and Debbie Carver. Brandon was a veteran of the United States Air Force. He graduated from the Harrison County Law Enforcement Training Academy on November 17, 2000, and served just under two months as a road deputy with the Hancock County Sheriff's Department before this tragic accident.

Police Chief Irvin Flugence apparently shot himself in a Broussard graveyard early Saturday morning. He died later at a hospital. The Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office responded to a call of the shooting about 4 a.m., spokeswoman Donna Delahoussaye said. Investigators did not say whether they think the shooting was an accident or suicide. Delahoussaye said they will continue to look at the evidence, but there were "no signs of foul play." Flugence had just celebrated his 40th birthday at a large surprise party in Broussard on Friday night. City Alderman Harold Johnson was at the party. He said he still had a hard time believing the news of Flugence's death. "We're all gonna miss him," Johnson said from his home Saturday night. The last year of Flugence's term as chief was clouded by controversy. In April, State Police investigators confirmed they were investigating Broussard and his department on allegations of public bribery and malfeasance. That investigation had been sent on to the 15th Judicial District Attorney Mike Harson, who passed it along to the state Attorney General's Office, who in turn forwarded it to the U.S. Attorney's Office. Flugence was never charged. Johnson - who has known Flugence since childhood - said Flugence had a bright future. He was an up-and-coming politician in the area, well-liked and well-thought of, Johnson said. Flugence spent a lot of time walking the halls of schools and talking with the children, Johnson said. "He was so active in the community," Johnson said. "Very promising."

January 23, 2001
Trooper killed pursuing suspect van
GEORGETOWN -- A state trooper died today while responding to reports that a van matching the description of a vehicle believed to be carrying two escaped Texas inmates was in the area. Trooper Jason Manspeaker, 25, lost control of his cruiser on the east side of the Eisenhower Tunnel and crashed into a parked heavy equipment
trailer, the state patrol said. Manspeaker was responding to a report of a van similar to the one authorities believe the escapees, convicted rapist Patrick Murphy Jr., 39, and armed robber Donald Newbury, 38, may be driving. The state patrol said he was going to meet another trooper near Loveland ski area to investigate the van sighting and lost control of his car at the bottom of exit ramp from interstate. Manspeaker's patrol car slid
under the trailer and he died at the scene. Gov. Bill Owens ordered all flags flown at half-staff until after Manspeaker's funeral. Manspeaker, who grew up in Montrose and was based in Frisco, had been state trooper since graduating from the academy in July 1999. Sen. Ken Arnold, R-Westminster, a former state trooper, called for moment of silence in the Legislature for the fallen troop. The van was described as a 1980s-model Ford Econoline van possibly three-tone brown in color with paper license tags. The van Manspeaker was going to check out later turned up at the Keystone ski resort full of construction workers, Summit County sheriff Joe Morales said.

Middle Twp. police sergeant and wife take own lives
Couple was focus of child-endangerment investigation
A township police sergeant and his wife died in what investigators say was an apparent double suicide Tuesday night, just as police arrived at the couple's home to investigate allegations of child endangerment. Merrill Meese Jr., 40, and his wife, Lorena, 36, were found dead after police heard a gunshot as they walked to the door of the couple's home in the Green Creek section of the township, police said. Acting Cape May County Prosecutor David E. Blaker said the allegations of child endangerment involved Lorena Meese, but he declined to provide details. No charges have been filed, police said. The couple's 3-year-old son was not harmed. He was staying with relatives who live nearby Wednesday night, neighbors said. The investigation "didn't necessarily have anything to do with that child," Cape May County Prosecutor's Office chief of detectives Jim Rybicki said. There was one alleged victim, Rybicki said, but officials would not identify the alleged victim or reveal what allegations were made. Officers had no plans to arrest or press charges but only to ask questions when they arrived at the couple's Devane Street home at about 8 p.m. Tuesday. Just after arriving, the officers heard a gunshot from inside the home, according to police. They then forced their way into the home through the locked front door and found the couple dead of gunshot wounds to the head, police said. Further investigation would be needed to determine whether one of the couple fired the fatal shots or if both did, authorities said. Police also refused to release information on what weapon was used, whether it was a police service weapon and whether other weapons were present in the home. Early indications are that the couple committed suicide but no final determination will be made until an autopsy and forensic evidence is examined, Rybicki said. Both the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office and Middle Township Police are investigating the shooting and the allegations that led them to the Meese home. Meese was a 14-year veteran of the department and an active member of the local Police Benevolent Association. The flag in front of the police department was flown at half-mast Wednesday, and draped over the front entrance was a simple, black cloth.

Subject: WV Deputy killed in crash
February 01, 2001
W.Va. deputy dies in head-on crash in Pa.
A Berkeley County, W.Va., deputy sheriff was killed Wednesday afternoon and another deputy and a prisoner they were returning to West Virginia were injured in a head-on collision with a car that was northbound in the southbound lane of Interstate 81, Pennsylvania State Police said. Deputy John Lewis Burkett, 28, of Falling Waters, W.Va., was taken to Chambersburg Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:51 p.m., about an hour after the accident in the fast lane of southbound I-81 less than a half-mile north of Exit 3 in Greencastle. Auxiliary Berkeley County Deputy Joseph L. Miller, atransportation officer, Gary Lynn Moser, 44, of Waynesboro, Pa. who was being returned to West Virginia to face fraud charges, and Lance S. Parkins, 19, of 151 Sandy Circle in Chambersburg, Pa., whom police identified as the driver of the 1990 Subaru, were taken to Washington County Hospital. Miller, believed by Pennsylvania State Police to have been driving the cruiser, was listed in good condition Wednesday night. Moser was in surgery Wednesday night. Parkins was listed in critical condition at Washington County Hospital. Pennsylvania State Police said Burkett, Miller and Parkins were wearing seatbelts. Moser, who was in the back seat of the cruiser, was not wearing a seatbelt. Trooper Ed Asbury, spokesman for the Pennsylvania State Police in Chambersburg, said that Trooper A. Martin was waiting for a light to change while exiting the ramp off the southbound lane of the interstate at Exit 3 when a Subaru passed him heading the wrong way up the exit ramp. Martin turned on his lights, turned his cruiser around and went after Parkins, also going the wrong way on I-81 in an attempt to stop the Subaru, when the collision occurred, Asbury said. Martin radioed for help, extinguished two small fires in the cruiser and Subaru and began to administer first aid to the victims, Asbury said. Washington County Sheriff's Department Chaplain B. J. McPherson was at Washington County Hospital trying to offer comfort Wednesday evening. He said he spent a half-hour with Miller, who he said was awake and lucid. Miller's wife was at his bedside, he said. Deputies from Berkeley and Washington counties were in the emergency room waiting area. Moser had been arrested by Pennsylvania State Police Jan. 23 and had been held in the Franklin County Prison pending extradition. Burkett and Miller had been sent to return him to West Virginia to face charges. Asbury said Moser will remain in the custody of West Virginia authorities while he's hospitalized. Burkett was new to the force, said Capt. Kenneth Lemaster of the Berkeley County Sheriff's Department. "He only graduated from the police academy in December," he said. Lemaster said Burkett was assigned to light duty, including court work, while he learned the job. Wednesday was the first time he assisted in transporting a prisoner, Lemaster said. "He was well-liked and he showed a lot of promise as a police officer," Lemaster said. Burkett was a 1990 graduate of Hedgesville High School. He was single and lived with his parents, John and Jackie Burkett, in Falling Waters.